- There is a large body of accumulated research knowledge on UI design, but it is hard to remember it all and even harder to use. UI Tenets & Traps is a tool attempting to synthesize this accumulated knowledge and put it in a form which practitioners can take action on. They are a general purpose UI evaluation tool, meant to be used to improve the quality of UI design early in the product life cycle.
- TENETS describe general attributes of good interface design.
- TRAPS describe common design problems that degrade this goodness. Reduce Traps and the experience improves.
- UI Tenets & Traps has several strengths as a UI evaluation tool:
- They are distilled from a large body of existing UI heuristic tools and research.
- They explain why UI problems exist rather than simply identifying problems.
- They facilitate communication through common language.
- They predict user performance and satisfaction.
- Since they are a deck of 35 cards, they are portable and practical
There have been many people who have contributed to the design, the wording, and the testing of this product over the years. Although we are just now offering this product to the world in 2017 many people have contributed to it since we made the first version several years ago. Likely more than the folks who we have listed below. If we missed you, mea culpa!
- Steve Kaneko
Partner Director of Design, Microsoft
Head of User Experience Research, Occulus
Senior UX Researcher, Google
Senior UX Manager, Honeywell
UX Researcher Microsoft, Xbox
Senior UX Researcher, Qualtrics
Architect Evangelist, Microsoft
- Jae Park
Executive Creative Director, Amazon
Senior UX Designer, Honeywell
UX Researcher, Zillow
Visual Designer, Microsoft